What determines the success of math tuition? Is it the connection between student and tutor? Is it the quality of the educational supplies utilised in the process? How do you select a math tuition center in Singapore bound to deliver the best results?
Whether you’re looking for A level H2 math tuition or O level A math tuition, the same criteria apply to the selection of the right learning environment. If you’re wondering how to choose a good math tutor in Singapore, the following guide will provide you with a few practical, easy to follow tips.
Specialisation, Reputation and Credentials
Let’s start with some of the obvious considerations first.
A good math tutor should have the knowledge and the specialisation that a student needs to excel.
Math is a very general term. The subject encompasses many topics, levels and educational possibilities that prepare students for a specific exam or entry into an academic institution. The right math tutor should have the in-depth knowledge to develop a course and teach students subject within the respective realm.
A lot can be learned about a math tutor in Singapore by going over their educational and professional biography, the courses they make available and the experience that past students have had (especially their performance during relevant exams). Luckily, a lot of such information is easy to find online.
By going to the website of a math tuition centre, for example, you can find out all of the essential information about the available courses and the specific curriculum for each. A course should offer an in-depth look at the topic, preparing a student for all kinds of upcoming scenarios that may be encountered in the examinations. The centre should also be easy to contact in order to inquire further about the tutor’s education, certification and background.
Math Tuition Approach
Every teacher has their own approach towards broaching a subject and introducing students to its intricacies. When thinking about math tuition, you need to learn about the style and the approach that the specific education opportunity embraces.
Is learning more theoretical and strictly academic? Does it also involve problem solving and a more practical approach towards the application of math in everyday life, university studies and one’s eventual career?
Some higher level courses like A level H2 math tuition prepare students for their upcoming university studies and their future jobs. To be successful, the tuition program should take an in-depth look at both the theoretical and practical aspects of mathematics. To achieve both, a tutor needs to have years of experience and a very high level of academic proficiency. Discussing the applications of h2 mathematics is much more challenging than just going through a textbook and covering the bare minimum. This is why the selection of the right tutor for high level mathematics should never be rushed.
The Importance of Personal Skills
Experience, math knowledge and the performance of past students in math exams are all important. A good math tutor in Singapore, however, should possess a range of additional soft skills. These are needed to make math fun and engaging, even for students who aren’t excelling at the subject.
Some of the key qualities good math tutors need to have include the following:
- Good communication skills: sometimes, complex and very abstract topics will have to be discussed during a math lesson. Excellent communication skills are required to take confusion out of the equation and make challenging concepts easier to grasp. Good communication also enables tutors to assess student comprehension and tweak the learning experience upon necessity.
- Passion for the subject: being a tutor is more than just a profession. Educators and mentors have to inspire their students. They should be passionate enough about the subject in order to pass on the same enthusiasm to everyone in the class. Passion for the subject also gives math tutors the motivation to continue improving, introducing new learning opportunities and enhancing their education skills.
- Patience: every student in a tuition program learns at their own pace. For some, excelling will require a lot of time and patience on behalf of the tutor. The best tutors are very gentle, patient and inspiring. They experiment with multiple learning approaches to discover the ones that students are most responsive to.
- The ability to deliver positive reinforcement: many students will simply need a bit of encouragement to open their mind and master a challenging math concept. In that context, positive reinforcement is incredibly important to keep motivation levels high. The best math tutors know how to keep their students accountable and engaged without any negativity or criticism.
- Availability: sometimes, students will need extra attention that spans beyond the boundaries of the math lesson. The best Singaporean math tutors are available to answer questions, offer one-on-one guidance and address the concerns of their students in the most personalised way.
Ask the Right Questions and Take Your Time!
Even if you feel pressed and you have to start math tuition right now, don’t rush the selection of the right educator. Choosing the best math tutor will be determining for your academic performance and maybe even for your future career.
It’s a good idea to do some online research based on your individual needs. Once you’ve managed to shortlist a few tutors that seem to be offering good opportunities, sit down and draft a list of questions for them.
A few important inquiries you may want to include in your list include:
- What are your qualifications and work history?
- What’s the average performance of students who have relied on your math lessons?
- How flexible is lesson scheduling with you?
- Do you offer both online and in-person tuition options?
- How do you assess the progress of students?
- How is the instruction tailored to a student’s individual strengths and weaknesses?
Needless to say, you may have some additional inquiries but these will paint a comprehensive picture. Getting the answer, checking out the course curriculum and learning a bit more about the cost of math tuition will provide enough information to make up your mind.
If you’re seeking reliable, high quality and modern math tuition possibilities right now, check out what The Annexe Project has to offer. We specialise in creative, personalised tuition that aims to uncover every student’s specific talent and academic proclivity. Contact us now to have your questions answered or visit the Our Tutors page to find out who we are and what we have to offer.