The Annexe Project Education Centre
Specialising in Mathematics and English, we ensure that students achieve their academic goals by making them more than adequately prepared for their Cambridge O-Level and A-Level examinations.
Tuition Courses Available
Our tuition classes are now available online.
Mr Alvin Yeo, HOD Mathematics
6 May 2020
Mr Alvin Yeo, HOD Mathematics
9 May 2020
A Word From the Founder
I am Alvin Yeo, the founder of The Annexe Project and also the head lecturer for all H2 Mathematics (for A level) and Additional Mathematics (for O level) courses conducted at The Annexe Project. A warm welcome to our website!
Admittedly, I never foresaw myself establishing The Annexe Project. Designing buildings and structures has always been a boyhood passion, explaining why I pursued an Architecture degree in NUS. During my university years, I had to support myself by tutoring students, and it was then I found myself discovering an addictive joy in teaching, in guiding a student toward that “Aha” moment.
My students grew in number and suddenly – I had this wonderful idea to convert a spare room in my home into a classroom. Back then, my first group of students (5 SJI boys) had been failing A and E Math badly. For two years, we laboured together and eventually we saw the glorious A’s on all of their ‘O’ level certificates; in those two years, we had overseas trips, and many a sleepless night spent tirelessly attacking math problems, inevitably forging this compact and sturdy circle of friends.
My students’ enrolment steadily swelled, and my little spare room soon gave way to a bigger home at Sims Avenue, Eunos. The year 2008 finally saw the official opening of The Annexe Project Educational Centre. When I speak of The Annexe Project, I say that it is a tuition centre – yet, I must also add that it is a second home, for both students and teachers alike. I do not look back in regret, for in front of me are students who have grasped their sought-after grades, and, more importantly, young individuals whom I proudly watch inch their way stubbornly and resolutely through their personal setbacks toward adulthood. To this end, whether the impact I have made be extremely miniscule, or vastly significant: I am very, and sincerely, grateful.
- Joyce PangCHIJ Katong Convent Secondary SchoolAlvin’s willingness to go far and beyond for his students can be seen through the endless consultations he provides, even if it means staying beyond his working hours. I vividly remember the number of times I met him after lessons for consultations, sometimes even late at night, and the numerous questions that I put in front of him, which he patiently solved them without any hesitation or complain. His support and words of encouragement motivated me to push beyond my limits.
- Tristan LooNgee Ann Secondary SchoolAlthough it was a last-minute decision to take up English tuition with Michelle, she never gave up on me and had complete faith in me! I think this new-found confidence in me was the last ingredient that completed the dish and eventually I scored an A2 for my N-levels English. I would have never achieved this feat within a short span of 2 months if I hadn’t agreed to this crash course with Michelle, and for this, I’m forever grateful to her. Thank you!
- Zoey LeeGeylang Methodist Secondary SchoolUpon attending Alvin’s lessons, I realised how clear and detailed his explanations of the concepts and steps in solving the problem sums were, that I finally caught a glimpse of hope for the subject. Alvin also encouraged me to join The Astro programme for A-Math where I got to do more papers that were timed to further build my momentum and work on my time management. As I slowly see my results for the Astro papers improve, my confidence also started to soar!
- Jordan Goh Si ZheDunman High SchoolAlvin was extremely motivating as he explained Math problems with such clarity that I fully understood even the most challenging Math solutions. The notes he produced were of an excellent standard, and often featured extra practices covering a wide spectrum of different problem sums of varying levels of difficulty. He extends genuine care to all his students and gives us helpful advice to better ourselves.
- Tristan LooNgee Ann Secondary SchoolThroughout my journey at The Annexe Project, my tutor Alvin, has always been a great motivator and believer in his students’ potential to achieve the best! His teaching skills are superior and sets him apart from the other tutors that I ever had. I really owe it to Alvin for helping me achieve an A2 for Mathematics in my N-levels. It was a feat that I thought I could never achieve in my wildest dreams! Thank you, Alvin!
- Nicholas KohTemasek Junior CollegeAlvin isn't a tutor who simply goes through the Math textbook during class. He emphasises on the importance of fundamental learning as understanding key concepts in Math is crucial. If I am unable to understand a concept, he continues simplifying it for me until I fully grasp it. His greatest strength is that he never leaves his students’ side. I have seen him sacrifice his meals, off-days and even sleep so he could assist me with the complications I faced while solving Math sums.
- Jedidiah LimSerangoon Junior CollegeAlvin’s unique and engaging method of teaching us let me enjoy Math in a way I never thought was possible. Without Alvin’s tutelage, I would not have gotten an A for H2 Math that I worked so hard for! Annexe taught me how to master Math and even gave me new friends and memories that I will remember dearly for the rest of my life. Thank you Alvin and The Annexe Project for giving me a second home to learn and grow.
- Zhao Xu ZeNanyang Junior CollegeAlvin is an outstanding teacher who goes beyond his job of teaching, and bonds with his students by creating memorable connections with us. He also makes his lessons interesting and easy-to-understand by sharing great study tips and resourceful shortcuts.The Annexe Project has helped me tremendously during my school days, and I’m certain that I definitely wouldn't have achieved my As if it were not for Alvin's constant help and guidance.
- Keith NgTemasek Junior CollegeAlvin’s teaching methods were integral in helping me achieve good results. Alvin’s patience with every student is truly commendable. If I am unsure about a concept, Alvin will explain the answer to me very clearly and only move ahead with the lesson if he is convinced that I am familiar with every detail of the Math sum. He is also very well-organised and illustrates clear diagrams in his extensive list of notes that let us fully understand how to solve a wide range of questions.
- Won Jer MaineSerangoon Junior CollegeUnder the ASTRO programme, we completed weekly exam papers under timed conditions. This was very useful leading up to the A-levels as it gave me the practice and momentum I needed for a 3-hour Math paper. With Alvin’s help and constant motivation, I improved tremendously and managed to jump 4 grades within 9 months for A-levels! I am extremely thankful to Alvin and appreciate his dedication to help his students improve and excel.
- Sai ShnyennChung Cheng High School (Main)Alvin was always there for me whenever I needed help with tough Math sums. He gave me constant guidance and even went the extra mile to schedule consultations with me. Alvin’s expertise on the subject allowed me to learn something new every lesson! Thanks to Alvin’s constant encouragement and his clarity in teaching style, I’ve maintained a strong A throughout my entire Secondary 4 journey which is something I would have never have dreamed of.
- Jonathan ChoeGeylang Methodist Secondary SchoolMs Ke Ling always tries to make the lessons less boring, especially for a person like me with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), that is a little bit hard because my attention span is usually drawn away very quickly. In every lesson, I will always be able learn something new instead of sitting around and blindly doing work all the time. If I don’t understand anything, she will explain it patiently to me.
- Loy Sing QiangMeridian Junior CollegeHe was really special. His explanation of math problems was done with wonderful clarity, as each and every one of us could understand his solutions effortlessly. He didn't just present the answers in a slipshod manner with poorly drawn diagrams like some other teachers do, but instead always took the effort to draw his diagrams with utmost recision, showing how serious he took his work. His professionalism is commendable.
- Lee Le XinVictoria Junior CollegeI remember fondly the times when Alvin would stay back beyond his working hours just to help us to understand the concepts and to ensure that we were able to fully grasp them. His constant encouragements and unwavering belief in me also renewed a hope in me for the subject and a confidence not from my own abilities in math, but from a faith in their teaching and guidance.
- NandiniAnderson Junior CollegeAlvin is a role model in terms of both character and achievements. Alvin has cultivated mental strength in me to face challenges and adversities, as well as to overcome my setbacks. He has also made work look like play – he made me enjoy what I was doing for two years in Junior College, despite my initial inhibitions. Alvin has always challenged me to keep doing better in Math.
- Seet Qi HaoMeridian Junior CollegeAlvin’s charm comes from the fact he teaches through the eyes of a student, he sources out the exact problem which impedes your understanding of a certain concept and demolishes it. In addition, lessons were never boring with Alvin’s unique style of humour and classic quotes, which made me look forward to lessons. Soon, I got more confident with each chapter till a point where I realised that scoring for the A-levels was definitely possible for me!
- Rason ChenDunman High SchoolAlvin’s method of teaching is uniquely different. He approaches every student amicably, clarifying their questions and doubts with confidence and occasionally adds in the lamest jokes you’ve heard of! Initially, my grade for H2 Mathematics was just a cut-off B. Under Alvin’s guidance, my grade improved to a high A! Alvin is more than just a teacher, he is a mentor and friend as well.
About The Tuition Centre
The Annexe Project is a creative centre that caters to secondary and junior college students. We specialize in Mathematics and English, preparing students for their Cambridge O-Level and A-Level examinations. We also offer courses to prepare for Admissions Exercise for International Students (AEIS) to international students seeking admission to our mainstream schools in Singapore and International Foundation Programme (IFP) offered by the University of London in the spirit of enabling students from around the world to have the opportunity to pursue a Foundation Programme without having to fly to London.
We are home to local and foreign students alike, providing a place where they can uncover their true academic potential, learn more about themselves, and create strong friendships. Guided by the passion of our founder and principal Mr. Alvin Yeo, we have grown from our humble beginnings as a small learning abode to the successful educational institution we are today. The burgeoning of our student population can be undoubtedly attributed to the satisfied parents who have graciously spread the word about our establishment, as well as our superior track record of students’ O-Level and A-Level results.
We want to assist students in achieving their academic goals in an environment that encourages their individuality and strengths, that helps them confront their weaknesses, and the memories that they create here will accompany them for the rest of their lives.